Hey Everyone, one of the things I want to do throughout this year is a healthy habits diary. I want to share with you what I’m doing, what’s working, what’s not and anything I think will be appropriate in the healthy habits posts.
I hope you’ll read and share your thoughts, tips, show your support, etc.
Here’s what I’m going to be talking about today.
- Meat Free Meals – 5 days a week
- 5 A Day Fruit and Veggie Challenge
- EFT – Just to feel really positive
- Getting active (or not??)
Meat Free Meals – 5 Days A Week
Before Christmas I had been trying to add more plant-based meals to my week and cut down on my meat intake. I want to do this for a number of reasons.
- My overall health. I have an ongoing cough and medication is not helping. I’m talking years. I want to see if a diet change makes a difference.
- I love animals and whilst I’ve been a meat eater all my life, it’s finally playing on my mind and I don’t like to think of animals being killed just so that I can eat. More importantly, I think many of the methods are terribly cruel and I’d like not to be a part of that process.
- Environmental impact. I am becoming more an more aware of the massive impact the meat industry has on the environment and I feel this is the single biggest thing I personally can do to have a better impact on the environment.
I have been listening to a number of podcasts this week, especially Deliciously Ella – I found these 2 podcasts incredibly interesting and impacted me greatly.
Whenever we are making any big lifestyle changes, we need a strong and powerful why.
I have my reasons why and by listening to podcasts like this, I feel more and more encouraged to keep going.
So why 5 days a week? Well, this was actually my 17-year-old son’s idea. Without me saying anything to him about cutting down on meat meals, he asked me if he cut only have meat at the weekends. Of
We’ve always been fairly big meat eaters. Nothing like huge steaks or anything like that but we’d have at least 1 meat meal a day. It’s just what we’ve always done.
I knew for me if I suddenly decided I was going to be completely meat-free, I was setting myself up to fail. So, If I do want to eat meat, it will be fine at the weekend. And I will really make this decision mindfully rather than it being something we do because we’ve always done it.
So far it’s going really well. What I’ve learned this week
- I have finally decided I don’t like avocado. I’ve tried so hard to find a way to like it but it’s just not happening.
- I need to keep it simple – When I over complicate it, things go wrong. I don’t need to be making fancy meals. Simple is best for me and my family.
- I bought too much and that’s meant some pretty unusual use up meals the past couple of days. I definitely don’t want to be contributing more to the amount of food waste in this county.
Question to you – Have you gone from eating meat every day to a mostly plant-based diet, vegetarian or vegan? Let me know how it went for you and please share your own tips for me.
I’m not a fan of labels and I certainly don’t consider myself to be at either of these stages yet. But I’ve found that learning more about this way of eating is really helpful for me.
If like me, you’re interested in this way of eating. I encourage you to check out the following.
5 A Day Fruit & Veggie Challenge
This is my latest challenge here on the blog – 5 A Day Fruit And Veggie Challenge
Now, I knew this was going to be an easy challenge for me, especially now I’m eating a more plan-based diet. I’m averaging at around 8 portions a day at the moment which I’m pretty pleased with.
My tip of the week – When you buy oranges/tangerines… peel them and pop them in the fridge for super easy grab and go snacks. This is working really well in our house. I hate peeling them so doing it in one go makes like much easier and we are far more likely to grab them if you don’t have to peel them.
Do you like my tip? Are you doing the Challenge?
EFT – Just To Feel Really Positive
I’m a huge fan of EFT and I’m trying to get into the habit of doing some every day simply to feel great.
I take it nice and slow, relaxing my breathing and simply tap each point saying feeling great. Some days I change the words to relax depending on what’s going on that day.
I’ve also added a new post to the blog this week on clearing limiting beliefs using Emotional Freedom Techniques
Any EFT work during the day will greatly benefit you.
Question – Are you regularly using EFT?
My Affirmation this week has been…
I’m making healthy choices for myself – I love and nourish my body now.
I encourage you to fill your mind with positive affirmations that support you.
Here are some more ideas.
Getting Active (or not???)
Urm, well, it’s a not this week I’m afraid. I hate getting outside for walks in the cold. I have done short walks with Indies but it’s really not been very far at all and I suspect I’m not getting my 10,000 steps in. And I’ve not yet got back into doing my home workouts.
I’m planning on starting the Water and Walking challenge again – Maybe Monday, I’ll keep you posted.
How about you? Have you been getting active this week?
I’m still not totally into Instagram yet. I had planned on sharing more of my meals with you during the week but I keep forgetting to take pics before I dig in. I have posted a few times this week and I’ll try to get it together more next week. I’d love you to connect with me there – Ideal Weight Challenge on Instagram