Are you really hungry, or are you just bored?
I know I eat when I’m bored. And that was where a lot of my comfort eating started. When my son was little, I was home alone, and my son was in bed, so I’d eat for something to do, or eat because the tv was on… I didn’t really need much of an excuse. Can you relate to this?
A good question to ask when you feel like grabbing something to eat and it’s not a normal meal time or normal snack time, is “Am I hungry or just bored?
Just becoming aware of your feelings is incredibly powerful.
8 things to do instead of eating when you’re bored.
- Go and brush your teeth and whilst you’re in the bathroom, run through a little beauty routine, a mini facial, a nice head massage, a makeover session… Look in the mirror and remind yourself how awesome you are.
- Do something active. Go for a walk, dance, stick a YouTube workout video on. Check out the Indoor Walking videos from Lucy Wyndham-Read on YouTube. I really love these.
- Tidy and clean a room, you’ll distract yourself and have a nice tidy and clean home.
- Drink some water, this will help you to stop the feeling of being hungry. Did you know that the feeling you get when you’re thirsty is just like the hungry feeling? So go for water first.
- Call a friend. Call several friends and walk whilst you’re on the phone.
- Write a letter to someone. Writing a handwritten letter and posting it is becoming a lost art, but I think we can all agree it’s lovely to receive such a personal letter, so not only will you be keeping yourself from being bored, you’ll be brightening someone else’s day
- Play a board game (if you have someone else to play with). Board games are great for when you’re bored. Sorry, couldn’t resist that 🙂
- Jump on the Facebook group and chat, just be honest and say, I’m here because I’m feeling bored and hoping for someone to chat too so that I don’t eat. You’re certainly not going to be the only person who eats because they’re bored, so many of us will jump in to support you if we’re online.
I really had to add this wonderful update. My friend Gillian Rodriquez from Just Stay Curious wrote a fantastic blog post called The Simple Cure for Boredom and there’s a whole section about eating mindfully that I love.
I also wrote a post on Eating Mindfully that would be well worth a read.
Other emotional triggers that can have us in the food cupboards.
Of course, it’s not just when we’re feeling bored that we can overeat, there are all kinds of emotions that have us raiding the food cupboards. Thing s like feeling tired, sad, angry, frustrated… can all lead to mindlessly eating. And it’s not just these kinds of emotions either, it can be happy emotions too.
Here are a few more posts worth having a read of…
Finally, I want to share this video on comfort eating with tips and EFT script to help avoid it.Got your own ideas, share them in the comments below.
PIN and SHARE – Thanks